Durable Medical Equipment
Durable Medical Equipment (DME) is any equipment that provides therapeutic benefits to a patient in need because of certain medical conditions and/or illnesses. Durable Medical Equipment (DME) consists of items which:
- are primarily and customarily used to serve a medical purpose;
- are not useful to a person in the absence of illness, disability, or injury;
- are ordered or prescribed by a physician;
- are reusable;
- can stand repeated use, and
- are appropriate for use in the home.